"You can take my body, put it in a boat, light it on fire, use the gasoline"
Willow Tree - Chad VanGaalen

Friday 1 August 2008

Paper Rival - Dialog

So the jig is up. I downloaded the new album Dialog from Paper Rival.

Springing up from the deep, dark depths of Tennessee, this band has refused to leave my rotation for reasons beyond my control. I've kindly asked them to leave time and time again, but my attempts of rousting them have proven to be futile. They have to be heard, and simply won't take no for an answer.

Dialog is the first full length from the group released by the virtually unheard of Photo Finish Records. First listens of the album won't surprise a frequent listener of indie alt-rock, as it sounds a bit like everything else out there. Even further listens don't manage to break the band too far away from the norm, but do prove that the band knows what they're doing.

Production is spot-on, molding crispy guitars and crystal clear drumming together while the singer leads the way. Gang vocals and vibraphone even stop in to make a few quick appearances.

The pace of Dialog is well constructed. It stays consistent throughout, managing to spread on a few slower songs over the entire 43 minutes and 13 seconds.

The lyrics are worthy of some words as well. In "An Easy Belief" the singer moans, "I've got the good book open too, but I'm reading different words than you." They drive the point home a bit further on when repeating , "Put your faith in something special."

I am convinced that this album is what I've been looking for. It has the ability to please a great many people, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it gain more momentum over time. For this band's sake, I hope it will.

Paper Rival on Myspace

Interview with singer Jacob Rolleston @ You Sing, I Write

"A Fox in the Garden"

1 comment:

ANNIE REUTER said...

Thanks! They're pretty good aren't they? So I stumbled on your other blog..are you living in Germany? That's so cool! I've never been but that's one country I definitely want to visit! How'd you stumble on my blog? Just curious! Hope all is well!